Print

Autochrome plate

(Fr.: procédé autochrome)

PH. The Autochrome plate was a three-color mosaic screen additive process, manufactured by the Lumière brothers of Lyon, France, between 1907 and 1933. It was the first commercially successful color process. It was replaced by the flexible films lumicolor and alticolor, and sheet films –filmcolor. The emulsions carried an irregular mosaic screen of red, green, and blue-violet potato starch grain, until 1938, when beer yeast was substituted. This was covered with a panchromatic silver emulsion. Both Alticolor and Filmcolor films were listed as commercially available in the British Journal of Photography Annual of 1956 but the manufacture of Autochrome emulsions stopped in 1955.

The National Geographic Magazine (which had used a reproduction of a hand-colored black and white photograph in its November 1910 issue), used Autochrome plates for its first true color illustrations in the April 1916 issue. (Nadeau, Encyclopedia, p. xxx).

Autochrome plate, ca. 1920. 180x130 mm Autochrome plate, ca. 1920. 180x130 mm

Autochrome plate, ca. 1920. 180 x 130 mm.